Schema Markup is one of the latest evolutions in SEO. With this new form of optimization, search engines return more informative results for users. Schema Markup is a code that is placed on your web pages and it is basically all about rich snippets. It tells the search engines to showcase upcoming events or detailed information for any relevant keyword searched by a user. Thus Schema Markup is exceptionally helpful for each business in the market. Some of the content that gets indexed and returned in a different way is only because of Schema Markup.
Collaborative team from Google, Yahoo and Bing created Schema.org – the website for Schema Markup. Thus there is no need for you to learn any new coding skills because Schema.org has a collection of schemas that you can use to markup HTML pages. Schema Markup is for users as they are able to view detailed information about the website plus plenty of other stuff whenever a website has schema markup in place. Schema Markup has been considered as a 'Virtual Business Card' by online visitors. With this user focused improvement, users can easily get the information they need through search engines.
Your web pages can rank better for various content types with the help of Schema Markup. There is data markup for: Book Reviews, Movies, Events, Products, Restaurants, TV Episodes and Ratings, Local Businesses, Articles and more. Using Schema Markup will push your website to rank better in search engine results pages (SERPs) as compared to brands without markup. Search results of Google started including Schema Markup but very low percentage of all websites use the same. You are missing out a huge source of SEO potential if you are not using Schema Markup. Following are the steps to use Schema Markup on your website:
1. Go to Structured Data Markup Helper of Google.
2. Data type selection for your plan to markup: Several options are listed in Schema Markup and “Articles” is one of the most common types of content.
3. Enter the URL of a web page, article that you want to markup or else you can paste the HTML and then click “Start Tagging”. This will further load your web page in the left pane and tagging items in the right pane.
4. Highlight the content and select the type of element to be marked up.
5. Add up remaining markup items: It is possible that every item from the list could not be tagged. Thus we suggest you to add whatever you can.
6. Click “Create HTML” once you have finished tagging the items. With this, you will be able to view the relevant microdata in the selected spots through HTML of your web page.
7. Add the highlighted snippets in the appropriate spots or the best possible way to download the automatically generated HTML file and copy/paste it into your source code.
8. A series of “Next Steps” will be presented once you click “Finish”.
9. Finally, check the layout of your web page with the added markup using the structured data testing tool.
Tips on using Schema Markup:
1. Access a list of most common types of schema markup by visiting Schema.org – Organization of Schemas page. Go ahead with the types that are best suited to your business.
2. You can visit “The Type Hierarchy” that provides most of the available markup types.
3. It will better for your website if you markup more content.
One of the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) innovations that will be probably with us for a long time is “Schema Markup”. Now this is the time for you to improve your search results by learning and implementing the relevant microdata.